Champagne Taittinger


By Mike Watkins | 22 Sep 2022
Vineyards at Hautvillers

Champagne Taittinger

Champagne Taittinger is a French champagne house founded in 1931 by Pierre Taittinger.

It was built on the site of Hautvillers Abbey, where Dom Pérignon created champagne. The company is headquartered in Reims and owns 340 hectares (840 acres) of vineyards, with 280 hectares (690 acres) in the Champagne region and 60 hectares (150 acres) in the Loire Valley. Its oldest vines date back from 1908 although winemaking at the property and its vineyards date back to 1734.


The Taittinger family are the majority shareholders of the company with 72% ownership. The remaining 28% is owned by a financial holding company, Starwood Capital Group. In 2005, Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger returned to head the firm as chairman and CEO, succeeding his cousin Jean-Claude Fourmon who had been at the helm since 1983. In 2008, Michel Fauroux became Chef de Cave, succeeding Pierre Gimonnet who retired after 42 years in the position.

The flagship wine of the Champagne Taittinger house is Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs. Other wines produced by Taittinger include Brut Reserve, Prestige Rosé, Nocturne Sec and Demi-Sec. It is one of the few remaining family-owned champagne houses and is currently run by Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger. The house produces a range of champagnes, including its flagship Comtes de Champagne, which is made from 100% Chardonnay grapes.

Taittinger's Comtes de Champagne was first released in 1952 and is still regarded as one of the finest champagnes available. It is made from a blend of grapes grown in the Côte des Blancs and Montagne de Reims regions of Champagne. The wine is aged for a minimum of seven years in French oak barrels before being released.

The Taittinger family also owns a number of vineyards in the Champagne region, including the prestigious Clos du Mesnil vineyard. This vineyard produces a single-vineyard champagne that is regarded as one of the best quality, worldwide.

If you're looking for a luxurious champagne to celebrate a special occasion, Champagne Taittinger should be at the top of your list.

How do you pronounce Taittinger champagne?

To pronounce Taittinger champagne, say "tay-tin-jay" with a French accent.

Where is Taittinger champagne from?

Taittinger champagne is from the Champagne region of France. The Taittinger family has been making champagne for over 300 years and is one of the few remaining family-owned champagne houses. Taittinger champagnes are known for their elegance and finesse, and are some of the most popular champagnes in the world.

What does Taittinger champagne taste like?

Taittinger champagne is a dry, light-bodied champagne with a delicate flavour. It has a subtle nose of floral and citrus aromas, with a hint of stone fruit. The palate is fresh and lively, with a touch of sweetness. The finish is clean and crisp, with a lingering aftertaste of fruit and minerals.

How much does Taittinger champagne cost?

Taittinger champagne starts around £50 per bottle for non-vintage (nv) champagne. Rosé and vintage champagnes such as the Comtes de Champagne and Comtes de Champagne Rosé are more expensive due to the time and production required to make these exquisite wines.

What is the most expensive Taittinger champagne?

The most expensive Taittinger champagne is the Cuvée Prestige Rosé, which retails for around £250. This champagne is made from a blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes, and is aged for at least three years in the cellars of the Taittinger family estate. The Cuvée Prestige Rosé is characterized by its delicate pink colour and aromas of red fruits.

Does Taittinger champagne expire?

No, Taittinger champagne does not expire. You can store it for a long time, and it will remain drinkable.

Is Taittinger champagne gluten-free?

There is no definitive answer to whether Taittinger champagne is gluten-free. Some sources suggest that it may be, while others say that it is not. The best way to determine if a particular brand of champagne is gluten-free is to contact the manufacturer directly.

Is Taittinger champagne vegan?

No, Taittinger champagne is not vegan. The wine is made with animal-derived products, such as milk and eggs.

Where can I buy Taittinger champagne online?

At Just Champagne, we stock a wide range of Taittinger champagne to suit every budget, as well as gift sets, gift hampers, large bottles and multi-bottle gift sets. Click here to see our Taittinger Champagne Gifts.